Tuesday, January 15, 2013

If I Could Write A Letter To Me....

Yes, I stole this idea. Yes, it was from my wife over at her blog XOXO, Wife . I, like my wife, like the song by Brad Paisley. I've done this in my head multiple times, but perhaps this is as good of a time as any to actually write it out...here it goes...

Dear 17 year-old Ty,








You probably have no time for this letter but do yourself a favor and take a moment to read it, I promise you it will be one you never forget.

Ty, you are intelligent and the friendship you have are priceless (something you'll learn not too long from now). Protect your brothers Tiki and J-ho because they will be some of the most important people to you when all seems against you...they're the best two (non-blood) brothers someone can ask for DON'T MESS THAT UP!

Know that your religious beliefs are not a crutch. It doesn't make you weird or an outcase; and you may not realize it now but your faith is just a baby compared to what it will become in the years to come....do me a favor and don't fight it like I did.

Stay true and honest with yourself...show respect and love to those who show they care for you and for those who don't, attempt to show them even more; they're the ones that need it the most.

Say you're sorry for the approach you used in your Senior articles but never apologize for their content...you'll learn at a later date you did in fact change some lives with them.

Don't worry, that decision your wrestling with...yes I know what it is. You are wondering whether you should give up your love (baseball) because of some things that have occurred and obviously aren't going to change...have no fear Ty follow your heart and I promise you it will all work out. (I know that isn't a yes or no answer but trust me you have to figure it out on your own)

Ty, please make sure you hug everyone at family functions when you say goodbye or they leave...you will lose some of the ones you love for reasons you'll never understand or comprehend.

Audition for more musicals, trust me you'll enjoy them.
Bury the hatchet with Mr. Logan sooner rather than later, he's a good guy.
Enjoy Cephus (your car) because trust me you'll miss it when it's gone.
Drop the feud with the choir teacher, it's not worth it.
Hand the mic to Dave after Joseph production! (it'll be torture but it's the right thing to do)
Don't abuse all the freedom Forks gives you at work...you're gonna miss that!
Be more humble, more selfless, more forgiving and above all more loving

Be YOU, you're worth far more than what you can even imagine or will ever believe. Whether you believe it or not there are people watching you, looking up to you and your actions will make waves through lives you can't see yet.

Never let go of what Bryce means to you...even though your brother was taken from this world before you were born trust me when I say he's never left your side and will by yours on some very important days.

Now a warning...in about a year from now you and Megan will start having some difficulties. When it seems hopeless....you need to...fight for your love, don't let her go...because she is going to become a huge part of your life and how you grew into the man that is writing you now...

College is gonna be a blast but there is one thing I need you to do; make sure you pay attention in that first semester Art Appreciation class. I know your head is gonna be swirling with all the events that will be happening in your life but there is a girl that will come in late that first week, if you are nice to her, you will gain the greatest friend ever...DON'T MESS THAT UP!  This girl will teach you forgiveness, true friendship and stand by you as Tiki and Jho do; dare I even say more.

Oh and don't wait until your 25 and tired of it to have a heart to heart with your mom. Be honest with yourself and her what the issue is and don't walk away until it's better...I would give anything to have had this happen sooner in my life.

As I go let me offer you just a few more tidbits before I go:

You're going to make mistakes. Some are going to blow your life apart...just know you're not strong enough to make it through them. Only through God and those he's going to give you will you make it through...so when your world is collapsing around you seek Him out...second to that, always learn from your mistakes.

Sincerely,

The 26 year-old you

P.S. Tell your parents to invest in Apple...and request 1/2 the profit as a thank you in 10 years.

No comments: